If you are a student or other individual professional looking to gain unique work experience and boost your employment candidacy, an internship abroad program may be right for you. An international internship affords you with opportunities to develop both your personal and professional attributes, and it’s sure to make your resume extra appealing to potential employers. In fact, you’ll find that the skills you acquire while interning abroad are some of the top skills employers look for:
- Communication Skills: The ability to speak, listen, and write effectively is something virtually all employers look for, no matter the field you’re working in. Likewise, as an intern abroad, you’ll need to be able to effectively communicate with your program members and the local people you’ll encounter and develop relationships with.
- Multi-tasking Skills: Most jobs require the ability to set priorities and complete multiple tasks at a time, and there’s no doubt you’ll be doing the same during your trip abroad. You might be in charge of delegating tasks to other individuals while completing your own duties, and the better you are at this, the more valuable of an employee you become.
- Interpersonal Skills: The ability to work well with others is vital to your success in the career world. Similarly, it is vital to your success as an intern abroad. Basically, no matter where you go in life, you need to be able to cooperate with others, work as a team, solve conflicts, and compromise. An internship abroad is loaded with opportunities for you to work with others and thus hone your interpersonal skills.
- Leadership Skills: Depending on your internship, you might be leading a construction crew, a classroom, or a kids’ camp. Because intern abroad programs are hands-on learning experiences, you’re sure to gain the leadership skills that employers love to see.
- Organization Skills: Being organized is also a key to success in any career. You need to not only keep your work space neatly arranged, but also organize your thoughts and plan your actions accordingly. Preparing for an internship overseas requires careful planning and organization on your part, and the work you do while you are abroad no doubt will require the same amount of reliable structure.
- Multicultural Awareness: With globalization on the rise, it is becoming more important than ever to have knowledge and appreciation of cultures other than your own. An international internship will allow you to become familiar with cultural traditions and help you gain understanding and respect for the world’s diversity.
In addition to the above skills, having internship abroad experience demonstrates your commitment to and passion for being a globally-conscious and engaged citizen. And employers love that. Your time abroad may have even sharpened your second-language skills, which is another beneficial attribute many employers seek.
Students and non-students alike often participate in internships they have some experience with, such as medical assistance, fine arts, or public relations. But internships abroad can also be the opportunity for you to enter a field you have little or no experience with, while still gaining skills that are applicable to just about any career you end up pursuing. Perhaps you went to school for teaching but are now realizing you would like to work in business administration. An international internship in business could be your first step in this new direction. The hands-on experience of internships is something you cannot learn in a classroom.
There are endless internship abroad programs for you to choose from, and with so many choices, you’re sure to find the one that’s right for you. Whether you are a student seeking extra-curricular work experience, a recent graduate looking to put to use your recently-honed skills, or a professional individual hoping to sharpen your resume and/or explore a new field, an internship abroad is sure to provide you with a unique and unforgettable experience.